Friday, August 16, 2013

DIY Shabby Chic Jewelry Holder


As promised, here is my take on another Pinterest project that holds my post earrings (& more)!


Here is my final product:


It was inspired by this pin (I'd link it to the website, but I doesn't work!):
 

I LOVED this take on a jewelry holder, especially since I am sick of my little kid jewelry boxes & my wooden ones that never hold enough. I wanted to make this, but decided to turn it into a vintage-chic statement piece rather than just some modern dishes...

Things you'll need:

  • Three different sized saucers (or two saucers & a bowl), & two candlestick holders/small goblets.
    • I went to the thrift shop & found my floral tea cup saucer, a clear candlestick holder, the cream saucer, & the glass dish with a base. I found the mini goblet at an antique mall!
  • More hot glue! 
    • Get extra sticks because I messed up a ton trying to align the holders & plates.
  • A flat, hard, level surface.

Steps: 


  1. Wash all your dishes thoroughly & let dry - the hot glue won't have as strong a hold otherwise. 
  2. I found it easiest to start attaching items from where I had the most leverage - you want to make sure it's level every time you add on. If you don't get it centered the first time, just peel the pieces apart & try again!
  3. First, hot glue the candlestick holder to the underside of the middle dish. Try your best to get it centered... you can always look down from above to see if it has an equal radius to the edge of the dish all around. Press down hard until it's set up.
  4. Next, hot glue to underside of the candlestick holder (not attached to the middle saucer) to the center of the bottom (& largest) dish. (This proved the trickiest for me, since I couldn't see the middle directly, but it was easier than trying to get the middle saucer centered on the already-glued candle holder when it was attached the the bottom glass dish on my first try.)
  5. Hot glue the rim of the goblet to the middle saucer so the goblet is now upside down.
  6. Lastly, apply glue to the base of the goblet & center the top bowl/plate on it. 
Now, my pieces were not perfect in their shape - I found out once I got home that the metal base of the glass dish was lopsided, & the goblet's base was crooked! :( If your dishes have the same problem, simply add hot glue to the lopsided area & let dry; place them on the flat surface to check that they are level, then hot glue them to the dish. :) 

You now have an adorable, one-of-a-kind ring/earring/bracelet holder for a grand total of...
Glass dish with base: $2.99
Cream saucer: $0.59
Candlestick holder: $0.99
Floral saucer: $0.79
Mini goblet: $3.00
Total: $8.36
UNDER NINE BUCKS!

It holds all my rings (because honestly, what jewelry box ring holder actually holds all your rings?), post earrings & hoops that I can't hang, & bracelets - even bangles! It will go perfectly with my shabby chic look for my room at my MSU house. :) (I will be posting more about that endeavor soon!)

My next DIY project "test" will be a final jewelry holder, but that will be for necklaces. Hope you all like! :)

1 comment:

  1. Since four years have passed, I wonder if the hot glue kept the plates together. I didn't think this kind of glue would permanently and efficiently work on glass to glass...

    ReplyDelete